Information Resource Center
The Information Resource Center (IRC) provides current, comprehensive information about the United States, its policies, social and political processes and related subjects.
The resources of the IRC are intended to meet the needs of Namibian government officials, journalists, researchers, scholars and others with a professional level of interest in the United States.
The IRC provides reference services to walk in patrons, by fax, telephone and e-mail.
The IRC has a collection of about 3269 non-fiction, 412 fiction, 200 English teaching and 436 reference books. Except for the reference collection, all the book material circulate.
The IRC has a DVD collection on American business, arts, culture, history, geography, science and technology. All DVD’s are reference material and may only be viewed at the IRCs video room.
Free internet access is available for IRC members. All IRC members must sign-up with their membership cards at the circulation desk in the IRC. The IRC provides Basic Internet and Social Media training to interested groups or organizations on Wednesdays. For more information on this program, please contact the IRC staff at IRCWindhoek@state.gov.
RULES FOR INTERNET USE:
- Only persons with a valid IRC / library membership card may sign-up for Internet research.
- TO SIGN-UP FOR INTERNET USE, THE IRC MEMBER MUST DO IT IN PERSON AT THE CIRCULATION DESK.
- Internet usage is limited to 1-HOUR PER PERSON PER DAY.
- Patrons must use the Internet within 10 MINUTES of the time that they signed up or FORFEIT the hour.
- The Internet is to be utilized for research only. DO NOT use it for chat groups, pornography, word Processing, games, etc. Persons using any of the above mentioned programs will immediately be BANNED from the Library.
- The use of external devices is strongly prohibited.
- Research information found on the internet may be printed by using your own printing paper. Printing is limited to a maximum of twenty (20) double-sided A4 pages per session.
- These workstations are the property of American Cultural Center, you have no reasonable expectation to privacy while utilizing the facility. All data contained herein may be monitored, intercepted, read, recorded, copied or captured in any manner by authorized personnel.
- The American Cultural Center IRC reserves the right to revise the usage policies and procedures for this service as and when the need arise.
Admission to the IRC is for Namibian citizens and residents from the age of 16. The IRC renders a free service and membership requirements are as follows:
- I.D. or passport
- Two recent passport photographs
- For non-Namibians: proof of Permanent Residency/ Student or Workers Permit is required, valid for 8 - 12 months.
- For refugees: proof of permission to stay in Windhoek is requirement.
Monday/Tuesday/Thursday: 8h00 - 17h00
Friday: 8h00 - 12h00
American Cultural Center
Sanlam Centre, 3rd Floor
154 Independence Ave,
Private Bag 12029
Tel: +264-61-229801 ext 230/231