Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report of Birth Abroad

Applying for a Report of Birth Abroad

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child's birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child's claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad is official evidence of U.S. citizenship issued to a child under age 18 who was born abroad to United States citizen parent(s) and acquired citizenship at birth. Because a child's foreign birth certificate is insufficient to prove U.S. citizenship, the Consular Report of Birth Abroad is primary evidence to show how and when a child acquires U.S. citizenship.

To receive this document, the child’s parent(s) will need to complete an "Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad", form DS-2029.

The application fee is USD 100,- (or the equivalent payable in Namibian dollars)